Cardio v Weights-Which is better for Your Needs
Cardio v Free weights, the age old question heard in every gym around the UK. Which one is better and which one should you do? The easy answer is both. Cardio has a wide range of benefits and shows incredible results when done regularly, but so does weight lifting. Let’s take a look at the benefits of both.
Benefits of a Cardio Workout
- Weight loss: a cardio workout will help you lose weight when combined with a healthy diet.
- Improved mental health: cardio exercise release endorphins which are natural painkillers and they help to reduce stress, depression and anxiety.
- Improved immune system: cardio exercises help boost your immune system making it more effective at fighting off a cold or the flu.
- Increased stamina: more stamina by working out? Yes, although when you start a cardio routine, you will feel tired after the activity. When your body gets used to it, you will notice increased stamina and reduced fatigue.
- Disease reduction: from heart disease and high blood pressure, to strokes, diabetes and some forms of cancer, a cardio workout can help reduce your risk. Choosing a low impact cardio routine such as walking or swimming can help get people suffering from these diseases on the right track.
The Benefits of Free Weights
- Variety: with free weights, you have a wide variety of exercises to choose from.
- Noticeable Improvement: free weights provide quick results that you will notice.
- Inexpensive and Mobile: free weights are inexpensive and you can take them with you wherever you are. When at home, you can work out in any room you like and when in the gym, you can move to a less busy spot for your workout.
- Anyone can do it: free weights are suitable for almost anyone making them easy for the professional or novice to use. If you are not strong, grab a free weight that is lighter and start there.
- Natural Movements: with free weights, you are performing natural movements that you do every day.
- Rehabilitation: free weights are very useful in rehabilitation programs where patients need to rebuild strength.
Now that you understand the benefits of cardio and free weight exercises, why not get an RTG Trainer to pull together a bespoke plan for you that incorporates both into your next workout.